The Cadmus House Borough Museum

Presented By

Fair Lawn Historic Sites Preservation Corporation

 
Zito Photography Collection:
 

Hours of operation

 
Open the third Sunday of the following months:
 
March
April
May
June
August
September
October
November
December
 
Additional Hours of Operation:
 
Open on Memorial Day during the parade.
Open By Request. Please call (201) 796-7692 and leave a message if you are interested in a tour.
 
Meetings:
 
Trustee meetings are held at the house on the last Wednesday of the months of April, May, June, August, September, October, and November.
 
. The 2011 annual meeting will be held in October of 2011. Trustees will be elected at the meeting and officers will be elected at the annual Trustee meeting immediately following the Membership meeting. Please attend and support the organization.
 
 

News

8-13-2011 New website being uploaded. Please check again if you encounter an error on the Zito Photography pages.

The next open house will be held on Sunday August 21, 2011 from 1-3 pm.

The exhibit will feature photos of Lost Fair Lawn and also some photos from the Zito Photography collection. A selection of photos from the recently scanned Zito Photography collection is available by clicking here.

About the Museum

The Cadmus House is the official Museum for the Borough of Fair Lawn. The Cadmus House, an old Dutch-style stone building is located on Pollitt Drive next to the Radburn railroad station. The Museum has historical artifacts of Fair Lawn ranging from Native American arrow heads to Word War I and II uniforms. There are maps from the 1880’s, old farm tools and parts of the former Hopper-Croucher farmhouse. Two original fireplaces contain old cookware. Upstairs are the Victorian Room with period furniture and toys, and the Fireman’s Room displaying old fire fighting equipment and pictures of early firefighters and the 1941 Plaza Building fire.

Among more recent acquisitions for the museum are eight of the original drawings of historic Fair Lawn buildings which appeared on the Columbia Savings and Loan 1976 Bicentennial Calendar. Other new acquisitions include police marshal gear from 1924 and items from the late Melvin Naugle estate dating from the Borough’s founding and earlier. Notable are early photos of the Naugle family outside their pre-Revolutionary stone house on Dunkerhook Road, now threatened by new housing. Still on display are many of the photographs of “Lost Fair Lawn”, historic buildings that have been lost to development.